Wednesday 4 May 2011

six.

Sadly as nice as the last cake looked it was not a crowd pleaser, so back to the drawing board (a.k.a internet) and I found a great recipe on http://www.sweetapolita.com/ if you like to bake I really suggest checking out her site! I'm not going copy and paste the whole recipe because there was alot to it... Essentially it is a Neopolitan Cake, you can look that up on the link above if you're really curious. It has 5 layers in it: 2 chocolate, 2 vanilla and 1 strawberry. In bewteen the layers is a strawberry raspberry jam and it is covered with Buttercream icing.

For the jam filling I took a jar of unsweetened raspberry jam and heated it on the stove in a small saucepan, I then added about a cup of frozen strawberries and brought the mixture to a boil. I then strained the sauce and re-jarred the jam and set it in the fridge overnight. It was tastey!!


Here is the first vanilla layer, fluffy egg whites and almond extract really made a difference here!



 After the vanilla was chocolate, with coffee as a wet ingredient! Need I say more?



Third was the strawberry cake with strawberry Jello and strawberry puree.... Yum!


The cake was so tall I ended up taking out one of the strawberry layers to make it a more reasonable height. 

I stacked the cake layers with the jam filling between each in the following order;
  • Vanilla
  • Chocolate
  • Strawberry
  • Chocolate
  • Vanilla
And this was the result.....


I then applied the crumb coat,


It went in the fridge like this for about an hour. Then I took it out and iced it,




And I couldn't have done it without my little kitchen helper....

 

 



"Mom can we please have the cake now?"


I just love the way this one looks when you cut into it! And it was much better received by the critics.


~K

4 comments:

  1. Wow you have done a great job! Move over Martha Stewart there is a new girl in town ;o) <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a lot of work! Great job, it looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is a crumb coat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A crumb coat is a thin layer of icing that you spread onto the cake and then put in the fridge before decorating it. Basically catches all the crumbs that would come loose and when you chill it the layer hardens slightly, just enough to give you a firm surface to work on. It makes icing the next layer and decorating so much easier! Hope this helped.
    ~K

    ReplyDelete